Thickness allowance for door jambs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I need to cut down my door jambs to take account of the floor tiles going down. The tiles are ceramic 9mm x 33 x 33. How thick will the adhesive be when it's dry and how much extra should I allow so it's not too tight. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest tiling up to this point in the room, then seeing what thickness of adhesive you used so far, then put a tile on the same thickness of card, and use a multitool to trim the bottom to the perfect height.

Thanks. I'm getting a tiler in and I've only got him for one day before he starts a big job. Last time he tiled around the door jambs so I want to be prepared this time and do it myself. I'm thinking 9 for the tile, 4 for the adhesive and 2 for some wiggle room?

Can you give him the multitool, and tell him you want them cutting to fit under? It will save him some effort - less awkward cuts!

Sponsored Links
You'd think he'd rather do that but he doesn't work like that. I've got 5 doors and an arch off the hallway which are the original thick architrave so I'd rather do it myself this weekend and let him get on with the tiling when he comes. Do you think 15 is enough?

I don't know enough about tiling to answer with confidence, sorry!

Thanks. I'm getting a tiler in and I've only got him for one day before he starts a big job. Last time he tiled around the door jambs so I want to be prepared this time and do it myself. I'm thinking 9 for the tile, 4 for the adhesive and 2 for some wiggle room?

That would sound about right. Maybe be there just in case a bit more needs to come off - floors may not be level / may use a thicker notch trowel.

No worries Phatboy, were you just cruising the Tiling forum then ;)
Thanks AdamCH

I know how to tile, but rarely practise! Mostly look in here for tips for when I next give it a go :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back