Thin plasterboard suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to source a very thin plasterboard-type material to fix to an existing concrete wall, for the purpose of sound isolation. It has to be a very thin board, because there is not a lot of space. I did find Magnesiacore, which looked ideal because it goes right down to 3mm - but when I asked for a supplier they sent me a quote for shipping from Canada!?

Something that is water resistant would be a bonus, as would anything that doesn't have a paper coat, and/or something that can be sanded without breaking up.

My working suggests I'll need 36 8x4 sheets.

Thanks[/url]

Sponsored Links
Magnesiacore is rubbish. Save your money.

Magnesiacore is rubbish. Save your money.

There's no question of me buying it, they've quoted something like £45/sheet to get it to the nearest port - so that's plus VAT, any import duty and additional transport costs.

But I'd be interested to know why you think it is rubbish, and what alternatives you would suggest.

Hi

You will not get much to help with sound that is thin! The best stopper of sound is air! That would need space! Normal board is 12.5mm thick and there are products like Lafarge Aqua board that is mould and water resistant or you would have to use sound board.
Hope this helps towards your question.

Sponsored Links
If you’re going to use 12.5mm board, don’t use standard wallboard (rather poor at sound attenuation) you might as well use Wallboard 10;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ies/gyproc_acoustic/gyproc_wallboard_ten.aspx

Or better still, Soundblock;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ries/gyproc_acoustic/gyproc_soundbloc_mr.aspx
Which also comes in 15mm.

I should warn you that you are likely to be rather disappointed at the difference sticking a single skin of even 15mm Soundblock onto a brick wall is going to make!

Why I want a thin board is because I'm going to double laminate it with "Green Goo". So it will be concrete/green goo/thin board/green goo/thin board.

It's a bit of an experiment, but I'm hoping that the double layer of goo will do the trick in isolating the low frequencies/impact noises that travel through the concrete.

So, still looking for some really thin board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back