Things Past

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking back to my youth there were many activities that kept us occupied and not wandering the streets aimlessly, such as Saturday Morning Pictures(great album) do they still have that in cinemas anywhere in the country? Adventure Playgrounds, building go karts, stilts etc, swinging down rope slides, great stuff highly enjoyable when young(wouldn't mind trying it nowadays either :) ).
Is this what the current generation need to occupy their minds?
What things past do you miss that don't seem to be available to the masses aymore?

Sponsored Links
The one thing I miss from my youth is

debbie harry and sally james not looking like they do now

:(

corgiman said:
The one thing I miss from my youth is

debbie harry and sally james not looking like they do now

:(
Don't forget you don't look as young anymore either ;)

Who cares!! I never letched meself like I did them to

Mind you I had as much chance as coping off with them in my first flush of youth as i do now

NONE

LMAO

Sponsored Links
The stupid nanny state in which we live has put pay to adventure playgrounds etc..

Just had our town carnival..they banned floats with people on them in case someone fell off..even though it has never happened in the past..

Why dont they ban people from going out in case they get run over?..ban people from driving in case they have a crash?

Lets just ban everything...just in case :rolleyes:

Sorry Breeze, you can't ban the ban, there's a ban against that.

breezer said:
what about banning the ban?

Ban...

People who ban things..

Do gooders..

The PC brigade..

And offal!

Zampa said:
The stupid nanny state in which we live has put pay to adventure playgrounds etc..
But isn't that because of those greedy members of public that look for an opportunity to sue? Can't blame the state for that.

Luckily or unluckily(quite expensive not free like the old ones) we have an adventure playground (rope bridges, slides) round our way but it caters for teens and adults not youngsters they have play areas instead.
As for the Saturday Morning Pictures do they still have that anywhere in the land?

tim west said:
Zampa said:
But isn't that because of those greedy members of public that look for an opportunity to sue? Can't blame the state for that.

The state could bring in a law that makes frivolous claims difficult if not illegal to process.

First to make illegal should be claims by the person who signed a dis-claimer and accepted that the activity was / could be dangerous but ignored that when something did happen.

The buzz of a canoe on a dodgy river is far safer for all than the buzz that a bored teenager gets from stealing a car and driving on the edge.

The canoist may drown but it is very un-likley the worst canoe accident will injury or kill innocent by-standers. The stolen car could plough into innocent people and kill and injury them. The driver in that case survives.

Allow some risky, high buzz organised activity to take place with out fear of litigation against the organisors and maybe the number of criminal thrill seekers will be reduced.

or it could be simply that anything that is free and enjoyable, someone can make a profit on...when it is the government, who can argue? Movies (cinemas) used to be THE way to spend an hour or 2 on a Saturday...now it takes a weeks wages to go and see crap....that will soon be on cable anyway. ;)...and tv used to be free.....used to be said...best things in life are free........gettin to be fewer options these days

:cry:

mlb3c said:
or it could be simply that anything that is free and enjoyable, someone can make a profit on...when it is the government, who can argue? Movies (cinemas) used to be THE way to spend an hour or 2 on a Saturday...now it takes a weeks wages to go and see rubbish....that will soon be on cable anyway. ;)...and tv used to be free.....used to be said...best things in life are free........gettin to be fewer options these days

:cry:
I think you've got it right there.

Picture House (still there called the same too) used to cost 1/6d.....bit less than a weeks wages :LOL: Gas meter took 6d and so did the elec.(and Shillings)........and the Council rent collector came round every Tuesday.......Hence my Dad saying "Bloody rent collector .......See You Next Tuesday :rolleyes: :LOL: :cool: "

Sponsored Links
Back