Things to know before attemping DIY electrical work

Oh, and I don't think knives are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He hurt himself when he grasped the blade instead of the handle.

Oh, and I don't think water heaters are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He hurt himself when he ran the hot water over his hand.

Oh, and I don't think shoes are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He killed himself when he used them to walk out in front of a bus.

Sponsored Links
i still think what you are trying to do is a good idea, but i also think that there are too many if's but's and maybees' (and also a mine screwdriver, see previous post by myself, this topic)

although most of us will end up saying for example "spur, yep, 2,5mm cable" what if they are spuring from a spur (something you don't do) its all the little things that really count, you can have as many instructions as you like, but most people never read them, so when they see the bit they want, they ignore the rest, so if as i mentioned spur, they only read first bit, then add 6 more spurs onto that (they will, trust me) whos fault is that, where as on here the poster can ask, and we in turn can ask another question id we do not feel what they are doing / way they are doing it, sounds right.

go ahead with your idea, but leave out the cable / rating aspect with a note saying please post a question if you are not sure

breezer said:
go ahead with your idea, but leave out the cable / rating aspect with a note saying please post a question if you are not sure
Actually, I like this answer.

My intention was never to make an all-inclusive manual for all electrical work, but rather to have a known starting point from which all the DIYers can begin. From that point the electricians here could talk to the DIYers without worrying about talking over their heads, because the basic information, such as jargon and certain standards, would be in this guide.

If there are other areas in the guide you think should be treated like this, please let me know.

I wonder though if a full description of all the things to consider when sizing a cable might not be more effective at getting the numpties to ask for help?

In the absence of info like that they might be absolutely sure that 6mm cable will be OK for their 9.6kW shower because 9600/240=40A and that's what it says on the cable reels, and so never think to ask the question.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more along the lines of stating something like:
"If you are installing a new breaker, or replacing an existing breaker with a larger one, ask the forum for help in selecting the proper cable size."

ban-all-sheds said:
Oh, and I don't think knives are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He hurt himself when he grasped the blade instead of the handle.

Oh, and I don't think water heaters are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He hurt himself when he ran the hot water over his hand.

Oh, and I don't think shoes are that great. A neighbour once asked to borrow mine. He killed himself when he used them to walk out in front of a bus.

oohhh you forgot scissors!!

Stuart :D

Some of this stuff seems to appear in the HowTo section of DIYnot.

Would this be a better place to try and get this type of info stored, and leave the forum for more problematic questions?

There are some switched on (get it?) contributors to the forum that could quickly amass quite an electrical reference......

that is when they are not being arsey (B-A-S ;) )

Thats strange, it did have five letters when I posted :confused: It started with an a and rhymed with Marcey.

i've been edited for being too rude :oops:

ban-all-sheds said:
I wonder though if a full description of all the things to consider when sizing a cable might not be more effective at getting the numpties to ask for help?

I think Yankey-Spark's intentions are good, but I like this point. The IEE On Site Guide can be pretty confusing if you're not sure what you're doing in the first place. One glance by most DIY-ers at that could boost the domestic sparky business no end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back