Things to look out for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am a first-time homeowner and need to get quotes for replacing ground floor joists, boards, airbricks and plastering/skirting.

What should I look out for? As far as I can tell so far:

They might not add on VAT
Skip licence
Make sure they have PL insurance

Was looking at CheckATrade, but people seem to be a bit skeptical about it?

Please let me know if you have any good links for appointing builders...

Sponsored Links
Talk to neighbors, friends colleagues at work. Narrow down the field, if you get a recommendation get them to give some contacts.

What sort of work are you looking at, not all small companies One man owners) need to charge VAT.

Sponsored Links
im assuming the timbers on the ground floor have rotted out?caused by what??

They might not add on VAT
Skip licence
Make sure they have PL insurance
Just make sure that the prices quoted include VAT if applicable. Some people are not VAT registered, so the lack of VAT doesn't really mean anything on it's own.

Skips - easily solved by arranging and paying for the skip(s) yourself from a reputable company, who will provide the relevant waste transfer documents etc.
If the builder gets one and it turns out to be dodgy, with your rubbish fly tipped on the side of the motorway, YOU will be the one who gets the blame and the big fine.

Insurance - easily checked, just ask them for a copy of it.

Have a word with your local Council, they may run a Trading Standards Scheme, this is getting popular around the Country, where tradespeople register with Trading standards and are listed on the Website or Trading Standards, the Tradespeople have to meet with certain criteria to be listed with Trading Standards and if their work falls short of quality one has a back up to complain to, and have the complaint investigated

Sponsored Links
Back