third skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have bought a 50's bungalow with pebble dash on it.
We are putting a new porch n the front and an extension on the rear as well as some remodelling with windows doors etc.
We were going to remove the out skin and rebuild it in a stone type effect, the architect has said it may be better to add a third skin in the desired stone effect and insulate that and have that as the main cavity.
Never having done this or heard this before is it a feasible option?
What do i need to be looking at?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an expensive plan. Foundations for your new wall- you'll have to dig down to your existing foundation level. Tieing in to the existing wall- going to be a right chore. Drains- good odds you'll find something running alongside the founds. Eaves or gable end- you'll have to extend the roof to cover the extra 220mm or so you're adding.

Why not just get external insulation fitted then either live with the standard render/pebbledash or stick Vera Duckworth cladding on if you really want to

Maybe consider cladding with marley eternit or hardie cladding.

Its becoming quite popular, a few houses round my way have had it done and it looks stunning.

If you have enough soffit depth, you could fit EWI, counterbatten and clad.

Sponsored Links
Once you've finished the new outer skin, if you want to change the appearance just a forth... skin

We were going to remove the out skin and rebuild it in a stone type effect, the architect has said it may be better to add a third skin in the desired stone effect and insulate that and have that as the main cavity.
Well, to be fair either of those options seem a bit ott. Maybe the architect meant cladding as the thirs skin. So external insulation, ventilated void then a rain screen cladding in stone effect.

Last edited:
As seen on TV

Clearly the Coronation street house above was built from stone hundreds of years ago. At a later date the other brick houses were attached either side. I’ve seen loads of these stone houses around that have had much more modern houses built around them.

cheers guys, i forgot to mention we are lifting the roof off and changing that as well, so a total re model. he main boss doesn't like cladding :)

The thing to remember is you are the one that has to live with it and pay the bill too. It is perfectly ok to go back to the architect and explain you are on a budget and need a cheaper solution, if that is what you prefer.

Have you thought about knocking it down and starting again.
New roof, new walls, your newly there already.
But seriously it might be cheaper to start again.

I had a job once involving building a new stone outer skin on an existing house. It was for a lord of the manor type whose view from the big house was spoilt by one of his estate workers houses so he wanted it clad in Ham stone to make it look more appealing. It is doable but it was eye wateringly expensive, it did look good when it was finished though.

yes looked at the total build but have priced up the third skin and it comes in a fair bit under the rebuild price, the roof is changing from a hip to gable to make more use of the roof space and the views. i'vedug an exploratory hole by the existing foundations and found then to be clean, we will have to move the gas and some drainage which i have allowed for anyway.
i ve never seen it done but we have solid internals and we are keeping them mostly.
the bricky i am using says it looks straightforward, time will ell, thanks for the replies :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back