Thirsty wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Afternoon I am looking for some advice.

I have just finished skimming a wall in my lounge, which is a plastered brick wall. Unfortunately, the new layer of plaster I have applied is starting to crack all over (very annoying!!).
I covered the wall with 2 coats of pva (2:1 mix), then applied 2 coats of multi-finish.
Can anyone tell me if I can resue the wall or should just hack all the plaster off before it sets and start again?

How do you treat a wall which is acting in this way, some help would be very much appreciated to help with the remaining walls.

olneys

Sponsored Links
i have been doing my dining room and i have had exactly the same problem.

basically the wall is drawing water too fast. i did the following

1. i let the multifinish dry, then put a layer of browning on.

2. let that dry, then pva 1:1

3. let that dry, then pva 1:1, and start plastering multifinish straight away.

there are alternatives like gyprime or knauf high suction plaster sealer but i've not tried them.

A coat of three parts PVA to one of water should seal any wall (if it's decent PVA).

Your problem lies in your skill as a plasterer. You are probably getting your mix wrong, applying it too thick and going back too late for the second coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back