This is serious. Candle burn repair to oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had two tealights on the dining table. Left them unattended for a bit while we were watching TV in the lounge in the next room. Fishy smell started. Thought it was the cat. Then got up and went to kitchen. One tealight was half-burnt, one was finished and blackened. It looks like one has overheated and burnt too fast, causing quite a substantial burn to the table below.

So how do I fix this?

The table is oak I think and has a gloss finish. I have scraped off a bit of the burnt stuff but it looks quite deep :cry:

The table is only a year old.

I have put this in this forum as it seemed most appropriate.

PS I wont be putting tealights on a bare table anymore.

Sponsored Links
Not sure you are in the right place but the only thing that occurs to me is, can you dismantle and turn the top upside down? and would bleaching and refinishing work? any stain or oil applied to match the burn would have to be the same colour as the burn hence it would be very dark and not very nice. French polishers do some pretty amazing things, could be another option which i guess depends on the value of your table.
Horrible thing to happen, hope you can get it sorted

Get some veneer, cut out damage and fit veneer. Welcome to the new hobby of marquetry.

Fortunately no major damage done but you now realise just how dangerous candle lights can be. Our local fire brigade state they are one of the major causes of house fires (have they taken over from chip-pans ?)

not a lot to say really deep burns mean lots off material removal so a big round hole or a blackened area
there is no miracle cure i am afraid disguise the area
see if the part will flip and leave less obviouse screw holes to fill
contact the place you bought is and ask about another part
but in general less than 10% chance off an easy fix that costs less than a new table :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ouch! How deep is deep? Could you sand the whole lot down to a level below the damage?

Anyone remember that yellow pages advert? With the kids party and the scratch on the coffee table?

Hmmm, thanks for all the replies. The burn goes quite deep (though I havent scraped much away yet, its too depressing)

The table is an extending one, where the two halves of the top spread apart and the middle bit folds out from underneath. Thus underneath are a LOT of screw holes on the wooden sliding rails and clamps, and probably glue too.

I believe it is solid oak, certainly the bottom of the table is the same as the top, only less finished. It certainly wasnt cheap!

I'm not sure if anyone's seen it done, but I did think about the possibility of routering out the burnt bit, and then routering out a bit from the bottom of the table top (and prise out with a chisel) to fit inside the hole created, sand, fill and finish.

If thats not possible (or would prove too expensive to hire someone to do it) I would consider sanding the whole lot down with a belt sander (and a few belts!) An issue I have with this is the fold-out middle bit. This would need sanding too! Also, the pattern on the top is a "framed field" effect on both leaves and the middle bit. There is a slight chamfer between the "frame" and the "field" which I could only get back with a router.

Fitting a bit in there will always look obvious, if it's solid oak you are probably better off sanding the whole top. Check your insurance, they may do it for you though it may affect your premium.

I would go for a routered-out circle then a carefully made disc glued in tightly with the grain running the same way, sand and re-seal the entire top.

Actually a square might look better.... and the patch would be easier to make and fit with the grain right.

Skilfully done, it would transform your table from "ruined" to "seen some life".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back