This job needs to be PERFECT !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm starting refitting a small domestic bathroom (changing suite, dry lining walls, tiling, etc..) and one of the jobs is to take up the carpet floor and fit vinyl - sheet not tile, which has already been bought.

The floor is floor boards but I don't know yet what condition they're in.

What is the best way to prepare the floor having taken up / removed the carpet ?

When finished, nothing short of perfection will do, so any recommendations for achieving this would be greatly appreciated :)

The 'client' for this ultra important job is the most important there is .....

..... my wife :LOL:

I've been putting it off for ages but have now assured it'll be done in the next few weeks ;)

Sponsored Links
you might also consider taking up the old floorboards. Then you could lay down 25mm WBP ply (rather than 18mm which would probably be adequate) without creating a great step up.

The old floorboards may be loose, squeaky, damaged so taking them up lets you start with a clean slate. It also makes it easier for you to get at any pipes or cables that you need to use when renovating the bathroom.

I am also packing mineral wool batts under my bathroom floor when I change it to reduce noise transmission.

ram - tip for that perfect job - try to get the skirtings off (if fitted), lay the vinyl (follow the advice already given about sheeting in ply), pop the skirtings back on. That way you'll have a slick looking edge. Unless you're a real expert with a Stanley knife getting a tidy edge up to the skirtings might prove difficult and you WILL pay the price once 'the lady with the Xray eyes' has looked at it.

No skirtings? Put some on so same result as above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back