This should be EASY - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed a ceiling rose and wall light when decorating - now cant get the bleeder to work again.

I have 4 cables at the ceiling rose, one feeding an upstairs bathroom, one feeding a wall light in the same room, one from the previous ceiling rose and one to the (double) light switch

I can only identify one of the cables - the light switch as it has different colour inner cables - lets call them R1, B1 and Y1, (for Red, Blue and Yellow) both the B1 and Y1 cables terminate at the rose in separate terminal blocks

I can't identify where the other cables come from or go to but let's call them L2, N2 and E2 (for Live,Neutral and Earth): L3, N3 and E3: L4, N4 and E4.

I have a 3 terminal block at the rose for the Live, Neutral and Earth. The light from that rose is also cabled into the same terminal block.

This sounds complicated (at least to me) but I'm sure it must be easy for the electrically minded.

Who can help me sort the cabling out.
....John

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the light fitting originally had maybe a light and fan in it, and went down to a double swicth, but doesn't any longer. You need to find out which particular cores go to the switch (look in the switch is probably the easiest way).

Of the other three cables, connect all lives together, all neutrals, all earths.

Connect the neutrals to the neutral of your light.

Connect one of the switch wires to the three lives, and the other switch wire to the live of your light fitting, and all should be well.

Is there an earth connection going to the light switch and/or box ?

EDIT: Actually, if the wall light in the same room wants to go on and off at the same time as the light you are having trouble with, you need to identify which live goes to that light, and then connect it to the live of your live fitting (the switched live).

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry about this - I really should read more thoroughly - If your double light switch has a small link wire inside it, connecting the permanent lives of the two switches, the the wire that connects to the three lives in the ceiling rose needs to connect to this side of the double switch too

What an excellent and fast response, many,many thanks.

I can identify the switch cores - they are the red,yellow and blue ones.

There is a cable going to a wall light (this is what you may think was a fan)

There is also an earth cable going to the rose ceiling light.

It looks as though my mistake has been that I have not been connecting one of the light switch cables to the live wire on the light.

Many thanks

hi bimmer

did the light switch turn on ceiling rose and wall light?
if so, was one of the swithes for the ceiling rose and the other for the wall light?
have you taken switch of wall yet?

without more information id say the B1 and Y1 at the ceiling rose are your 2 switch lines.
connect 1 to the red core of the wall light cable and the other to the light on the ceiling rose.

however, if your not sure, get an electrician in m8.

matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back