Thistle Board Finish...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A colleague at work has asked me to plaster his new boards some time possibly soon. I've been looking at Thistles Board Finish description, and says it is 'an ideal final coat plaster' Should there be an undercoat plaster first then board finish, OR just a couple of coats of Board Finish? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No undercoat is required over boards, just skim. Board Finish is formulated specifically for PB but it can also be used as a finishing plaster over other backgrounds with low to medium suction. Multi-Finish is more of an all rounder & suitable over all suction backgrounds. One thing to consider is that using Multi over boards will give you a little more time which can be useful if you’re not experienced. Some say Board finish give a slightly better finish than Multi.

Be warned even skimming boards is very rarely as easy as it looks for a beginner & you should practice on a gash board before you hit your friend’s wall & if it's a ceiling, your going to struggle & be in real trouble. ;)

If you don't know which plaster to use you shouldn't offer to do the job. It'll all end in tears.

Thanks for that Richard, this past 12 months has been a learning curve,but learning all the time. When I did my intensive course we only used multi finish on boards. The only time so far I have skimmed over boards was on a ceiling earlier this year, but if multi gives me more time, then muti it shall be. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back