Thorn Apollo 50/65B Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a thorn 50/65B central heating boiler that is 20 years old. The problem is that when it starts up, it will run for 3 days or less and then cuts out. When it is re-started the main burner flame dies after about twenty seconds and it takes out the pilot light. It has always been looked after with regular servicing and regular top-ups of inhibiter in the radiators. Also, in the last few days it has had a new pilot light and a new thermal coupling fitted, but still the problem continues.

Can anyone help !

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a new pilot injector?

My first thought would have been a partially blocked pilot injector, or pilot tube, RGI territory.

Have all the basics been checked with your gas supply and meter?

I would think the pilot is going out so stopping the main burner.

Has the gas valve been checked?

has the flue been checked, had loads of apollos, balanced flue and fanned, where inner flue rusts through and so recycles flue gasses causing pilot outage

When it is re-started the main burner flame dies after about twenty seconds and it takes out the pilot light.
Is it overheating when it does that? Dodgy overrun stat would cause that - pump wouldn't be running..

Sponsored Links
most apollos have a overheat stat with connecting wires into the t/c
wonder if that has been changed recently. and check the connections
onto the t/couple are tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back