Thorn pilot light / thermocouple problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to shut down the boiler today (Thorn EMI M56/76B) and am having trouble keeping the pilot going now. I think the pilot flame should be a Y shape but it is only a single jet pointing straight in to the boiler. The Thermocouple is just to the right of the pilot and I think there should be a "branch" of the pilot flame burning over the tip of the thermocouple.
Can anyone confirm this please? If so is there a quick way to fix it?
I am presuming this will be the reason for the lack of activity from the main gas burner. Circulation pump and 3 way valve is working but I have no heating at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Thorn M range do indeed have a pilot top socket that has 2 flames one goes to side to heat t/couple and one that comes straight out to light main burner.
There is a + on the end of pilot socket that allows cross lighting of both parts of pilot. these fuse together over time and wont always clean up.
either undo sight glass and just light bit that not lit with a match.
Or if it is the model the sight glass doesn`t come off then undo front of burner plate move slightly an reach it with blow lamp or taper to catch it.

Thanks Namsag.

I have taken the inspection glass off and brushed up the pilot jet a bit and it now has two pretty blue flames. I am still not getting the burners to ignite though. The thermocouple is getting warm. How long should I normally expect to wait before getting ignition of the boiler?
Should I do anything to clean the thermocouple tip?

After releasing the pilot button and pilot stays on make sure pilot button is not stuck in as this will stop main burner firing...Boiler should fire within a few secs of heat being demanded providing button is properly out

Sponsored Links
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Namsag,
You are spot on with your suggestions. The button is a bit sticky and was not rising properly. With a little help from me to lift the pilot button the boiler has now fired up and I think we have everything working properly. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

You have saved me from a night without heating. The house is beginning to warm up now. Thank you for your help.

:D :D :D :D

Start saving as the M series is now getting over 30 years of age and some of the parts are now obsolete ,even the pilot burner i think.

Glad to have been of help though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back