Thorn Olympic 38/50B pilot spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have one of these boilers. Occasionally (like every couple of weeks or so) it shuts down, but I am always able to relight it. I had a new thermocouple put in it but that hasn't made any difference. I noticed the other day the pilot flame is sometimes a little smaller than usual, and I think that's why it's shutting down. So I have ordered a new pilot burner (pilot top socket) for it. However I notice the new pilot burner is different to the original, even though the GC number and the manufacturer part number are the same. The new burner looks like the one in this pic:

http://www.heatingspares247.com/thorn-pilot-top-socket-402s420.html

The old burner has a pilot spring, but I cannot locate a pilot spring for the new burner. Does anybody know if the new burner even needs a pilot spring please? (I don't know if the old spring will fit the new burner). Also, what is the purpose of the pilot spring?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'm afraid it's against forum rules to give advice on DIY gas work, so you won't find any help here. You should call a Gas Safe Registered Engineer, who will be able to properly fault-find your boiler and ensure that it is working safely when it is all put back together. The likelihood is that you've wasted your money as it's quite rare that a pilot assembly needs changing

That is not he pilot for an olympic that is the pilot for an apollo must be wrongly coded.
Pilot shroud for an olympic is no longer avialable although the spring is

Last edited:
That is not he pilot for an olympic that is the pilot for an apollo must be wrongly coded.
Pilot for shroud for an olympic is no longer avialable although the spring is

Yes. OP: We can not give gas repair advice, but I can say that the pilot is normally repairable. BUT if the repair operation goes wrong. (an I would always warn a client about the possibility) it will be completely dead, because the pilot burner is NLA. You might be best advised to hire an RGI with some age, as they will know the issue.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. Can anybody recommend a suitable engineer of many years experience in the south Birmingham area please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back