Those were the days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a follow on from the harling/sharp edges thread I am just going to tell a little story .

I would not recommend it, and am only telling it as a story.

Back in the days when things were a bit different on site, people were a bit more , shall we say, robust in dealing with things.

One trick that I heard about was this.

As we all know, site agents and builders now know less about plastering and trades in general than before, when they had worked as a chippy etc before becoming a site manager.

In those days, unlike now, most people knew that plaster was supposed to be a matt finish, not polished up like glass.

If a room looked right, it was right.

The first sign of someone who knows nothing about how to snag plastering is to go rubbing the walls as his first line of attack, using his hands.

The usual place for this to start was just beside the door, about knee to head height, rubbing up and down , while talking pretending to know what plastering was all about.

An agent in those days who was notorious for looking for a drink to pass houses, even on decent work, was making particular nuisance of himself on a site.

As we all know, plastering is the easiest trade in the world to snag if you look hard enough long enough.

The spread at the time just ignored him, and in the next house tapped a few small bits of broken glass into the wall at the right height, in the spot where our villain usually started - when the sirapite finish would ust take it

It stopped the agent rubbing walls for quite a while.

I have heard also that the corner of a razor blade does the same job, but have never seen that done.

Like I said at the start, just a story, not to be tried.

For the plasterer in question, it was more a Tale of the Expected

Sponsored Links
As a follow on from the harling/sharp edges thread I am just going to tell a little story .

I would not recommend it, and am only telling it as a story.

Back in the days when things were a bit different on site, people were a bit more , shall we say, robust in dealing with things.

One trick that I heard about was this.

As we all know, site agents and builders now know less about plastering and trades in general than before, when they had worked as a chippy etc before becoming a site manager.

In those days, unlike now, most people knew that plaster was supposed to be a matt finish, not polished up like glass.

If a room looked right, it was right.

I worked on a site in the seventies, where the Clerk of the Works said to us plasterers, "I'll never put a straight edge onto a plasterer's wall, unless something catches my eye".

It was also taboo for a plasterer to check another plasterer's wall with a straight edge,,,, and you never ever rubbed your hand over another plasterer's wall,, (after it had dried out), to check for smoothness/roughness.

You also never used another plasterer's trowel,,, and you always let the plasterer's labourer, (top man) load the spot board, before you started coating the walls etc,, i had many a gauger full of floating thrown across the back of my hand, followed by the shouted words from the foreman plasterer,, " TONY,,,, LET THE LABOURER LOAD THE BOARD FIRST",,,,, ok Bill,,,, sorry!!! :oops:

Like I said at the start, just a story, not to be tried.

For the plasterer in question, it was more a Tale of the Expected

Always like to read these little tales.

For a day job I'm in an office, where there's rarely anything amusing like this.
Maybe there used to be, but these days with rules,regs etc you have to be really careful.
So it's always good to hear plastering (as well as general Site) antics!

RC, there was so much etiquette that is changing now, and a lot of it is due to the fact that there are no proper apprenticeships now.

I would never touch another spreads trowel, and if someone grabbed a good skimming trowel that you had spent years with ............

Labourer would never leave anything on the spot other than muck, he'd mix in another room and bring it in so there was no dust or mess in the room. as for rubbing another man's walls, it would be more than a guager across the head!!!!

Sponsored Links
It certainly was a craic in the 70`s . Plumbers ( me apprenticed) with putty guns - spreads leaving gallon paint tins full of urine in cupboards. Paddy groundworkers with rotten feet in the mess hut :mad: chemical karzi on site IF you were lucky. One short arsed spread had this jumper that was so full of sirry that he " looked like a sheeps arse " Old Jim- from T` Yorkshire . Chippy wi` the razor sharp hand axe :idea: and the phrase " tha` thinks tha` knows but tha` don`t." :LOL: Health and safety was non existant . You used your loaf- like cutting holes in brickwork , with hammer and chisel for waste pipes - shut your eyes against flying debris. You soon learn where the end of the chisel is ;) Labourers carrying a bag of cement and running with it . 2x the weight of bags now. And keeping their grafts/shovels shining - because a clean tool works easier :idea: All gone and replaced with semi-skilled kitted up geezers who don`t care about building , It`s just a job. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back