Thread Repair on Gas Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this thread will get flamed more times than a Universal Studios Stuntman, but here's my predicament:

I removed my LPG gas fire to install a new fireback, and I'm now reinstalling it. It's a case of tightening one fitting and the fire is back in place, but I've managed to strip the male threads of the fitting, due to the position of the new fireback being slightly forward of the old one.

My brother in law is a registered gas fitter, but since he's mega busy, all I was going to ask him to do was check the fire after I'd connected it back up. Wish I'd got him to do the whole thing.

I'm a manufacturing engineer at a precision engineering company, so I can get brass brazed onto the old fitting and recut the thread. The joint will likely be stronger than the original material.

Will this be suitable?

Is there any guidelines on the use of fillers, e.g. high temperature epoxy for gas fittings?

Sponsored Links
Have you a spare female that will fit?. if so, cut it in half, apply it either side of the damaged thread, clamp with mole grips and wind it off the fitting, it should do a decent repair.
But, you know it should'nt really be touched by yourself.

Have you a spare female that will fit?. if so, cut it in half, apply it either side of the damaged thread, clamp with mole grips and wind it off the fitting, it should do a decent repair.

Utter Bo!!ox .
If the threads are stripped a new fitting is needed.

NO NO NO. Do not do this. :rolleyes:

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
[quote="misterdubya";p="1815778"]

NO NO NO. Do not do this. :rolleyes:

Mr. W.[/quote]

Calm down; Calm down: I think he was takin the pi55. Having said that, some people may take advice literally.....

That's not really what I had in mind. If the threads are stripped, the material is pretty much gone. Recutting the thread using a proper die, never mind 2 halves of a female fitting wouldn't do the job as there's not enough material there to accept the new thread.

I can braze metal back onto the fitting and recut using the added material. Given that the new brazed material will be stronger than the original cast material, and it's an approved repair process for some aerospace hydraulic systems, I think it should be fine.

I've also heard of people using High temp epoxies such as JB Weld to repair fittings like this, but I'd say that's a definite no-no.

And by "fitting" I'm referring to the fitting which goes to the main control valve on the fire, so replacement = a new fire.

I can braze metal back onto the fitting and recut using the added material. Given that the new brazed material will be stronger than the original cast material, and it's an approved repair process for some aerospace hydraulic systems, I think it should be fine.

It's no good asking that question here and expecting any other answer than you need a new fitting / a qualified person needs to do the work.

The right repair might be technically OK, but it would be an unorthodox repair method and therein lies the problem, whether it's good or not. It's always tempting to say 'I know it's OK', but without access to all the regs, etc you don't know what you don't know. In this case if you recreate a good quality thread in brazed material then my guess it that it would be a good repair, but nobody is going to officially tell you that.

I see you're located in Belfast. Are the rules for gas the same in NI?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back