Three port diverter problem

Sponsored Links
No power from the CH on terminal and I've checked the wiring for continuity from the on terminal through to the valve.

It occurs to me that when my son told me his CH wasn't working I suggested that he gave the valve a bang in case it had stuck fron not being used all summer. This he did and the CH worked, but not the next time it was timed to start. I wonder if the bang could have caused a voltage spike that damaged the programmer?

I shall look at 'how a mid-position valve works' thank you.

CH & HW on together - starts, v/v cycles to HW position - 0v G 240v O
HW off, all stops, v/v cycles and CH restarts 240v G 240v O

Howard both of the above quotes suggest that the valve has motored which also means that there has to have been power on the white
the white is ultimately connected to the central heating on terminal which you are now saying does not have power.........

Matt

I can't go back to my son's until Saturday week so probably my best bet is to start all over again using D_Hailsham's fault finding info. Perhaps coming to it fresh will help! Thank you all for your input so far. I'll report back in ten days or so.

Sponsored Links
Photo for matt1e. I'll identify the wires tonight, no time this morning. Not too good quality I'm afraid as it's all behind the pipework and a bit difficult to access.

Do you know when I said I'll have seen worse?........ :eek:
seriously though, thanks for the pic, as it now puts a different slant on things.
The actual problem could lie within that wiring centre i.e a damaged pcb track
Identifying the cables will be a good place to start.

Matt

The connections up the middle are earths at the top and neutral at the bottom. I'm unable to list the connections as they are shown in the photo so -

Top left hand strip

red from prog CH on
yellow to room stat

black from prog HW off
grey to valve
gr/yell from tank stat

Bottom left hand strip

white to valve
yellow from room stat

Top right hand strip

brown to prog
red live in

brown to tank stat
red from prog HW on

Bottom right hand strip

green to tank stat
orange to valve
brown to pump
yellow to boiler

I hope that's right!

The connections up the middle are earths at the top and neutral at the bottom. I'm unable to list the connections as they are shown in the photo so -

Top left hand strip

red from prog CH on
yellow to room stat *

black from prog HW off
grey to valve
gr/yell from tank stat **

Bottom left hand strip

white to valve
yellow from room stat.....*I doubt that you will have a yellow both to and from the room stat (unless there are other connections somewhere

Top right hand strip

brown to prog
red live in

brown to tank stat
red from prog HW on

Bottom right hand strip

green to tank stat ** same here, is this not blue?
orange to valve
brown to pump
yellow to boiler

I hope that's right!

Right, I thought that, it must be yellow from prog CH on and red to room stat, those two wires certainly go to those two places..

It's actually a bluey/green.

My comments in Green

Top left hand strip

red from prog CH on
yellow to room stat * This is the connection from CH ON to room stat COMMON

Bottom left hand strip

white to valve
yellow from room stat.....*I doubt that you will have a yellow both to and from the room stat ... This is the connection from Room Stat CALL to valve white.

Top left hand strip
black from prog HW off
grey to valve
gr/yell from tank stat ** This is HW SAT

Bottom right hand strip

green to tank stat ** same here, ... This is HW CALL
orange to valve
brown to pump
yellow to boiler

The wiring seems to be correct at the terminal strips. However, we need to know which terminal numbers on the Room Stat and Cylinder Stat the various wires connect to, as well as the makes/models of both stats.

My comments in Green

Top left hand strip

red from prog CH on
yellow to room stat * This is the connection from CH ON to room stat COMMON

Bottom left hand strip

white to valve
yellow from room stat.....*I doubt that you will have a yellow both to and from the room stat ... This is the connection from Room Stat CALL to valve white.

Top left hand strip
black from prog HW off
grey to valve
gr/yell from tank stat ** This is HW SAT

Bottom right hand strip

green to tank stat ** same here, ... This is HW CALL
orange to valve
brown to pump
yellow to boiler

The wiring seems to be correct at the terminal strips. However, we need to know which terminal numbers on the Room Stat and Cylinder Stat the various wires connect to, as well as the makes/models of both stats.

I know what they are supposed to be DH, what I meant was, I have never seen a 3 core & earth cable containing 2 yellow cores, same as I have never come across a 3 core flex containing brown,green/yellow and green cores ;)

Matt

I know what they are supposed to be DH, what I meant was, I have never seen a 3 core & earth cable containing 2 yellow cores, same as I have never come across a 3 core flex containing brown,green/yellow and green cores
I see what you mean, but I don't see how you can know, for certain, how many cores are in each cable - except the valve. It's very difficult to identify them from the fuzzy pic, even when it is blown right up, so we don't really know how many cables are connected to each item - Prog, Room stat, Cyl Stat.

A vist to my son's home today produced the following -

A better quality photo of the wiring

A photo of the room stat - there is nothing internally to identify it's type

The wiring is 1 - red, 4 - empty, 3 - yellow, 2 - blue, 5 - nothing

The cylinder stat is a Honeywell L641A1039

c - brown, 1 - blue, 2 - green/yellow

Thanks, Howard

Now the pic is clearer (thanks), it's making even less sense. :confused:

Take the left cable at the top as an example, which, according to you, has:

Black - from prog HW OFF
Red - Live in
Brown - To tank stat.

The other end of the cable can't be in three places at the same time - Programmer, Tank Stat, and Mains supply. So where does it end up?

The bottom left cable is clearly marked "STAT", but you said the red comes from Prog CH ON.

Can you positively identify where each cable goes (apart from the black valve cable) and which terminal each wire is connected to at the other end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back