Three sockets off spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am having some work done in the kitchen and have discovered that three of the sockets are running off one spur from the cellar below. ie one wire is coming up from the cellar socket - hitting a junction box and splitting off to three separate double sockets.

Now I understand that this is not good

My question is: can I bring the ring cables up from the socket in the cellar below (not too difficult) and use 3 separate junction boxes (i.e replacing sockets) in the ring with the kitchen sockets coming off these?

Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
You don't say if there is a ring main in the cellar? Could it just be a radial circuit, not a ring, in which case its ok, if its using 4mm T&E

I don't know - can you?

I guess I was trying to save a bit of time re plastering etc as I was tring to get it done quick before the units get put in.
I realise I'm not a qualified electrician, just asking for a bit of advice

Sponsored Links
The problem you have is that the work you would be doing in the kitchen is notifiable to your local authority building control before you start the work.
Firstly you need to check how the ring final circuit is run if indeed it is such a circuit.
If as you say there is one wire coming up from the cellar and into the kitchen jb then what is in the cellar? Another jb? And is this part of the ring final circuit?
If there is another jb in the cellar or socket that houses the ring final circuit then you could interupt the single cable in the cellar with a 13 Amp fused connection unit. Alternatively you could do the same with the jb/socket in the cellar.
This would avoid you having to make any changes to the kitchen and make the ring final spur at least meet BS7671.
If you don't feel competent to do this then leave it to an electrician.

Now is absoloutly the right time to have the wiring sorted out properly while there is no kitchen in.

There's no point messing about trying to bodge the old wiring into something thats kind of ok.

Cut the lot off and chuck in a whole new circuit from the consumer unit. You know it's right, safe and compliant with wiring regs which are there for the safety of you and your family.

RF Lighting has the answer. It might not be the quickest or cheapest but it will be the best. Yes, you could insert a 13 amp FCU into that cable but sooner or later you, or a subsequent owner, will come to regret it.

Perhaps more than any other room, kitchens are heavy on amps. You only have to plug in a kettle, a toaster and a microwave and that 13 amp fuse will be popping on a regular basis. :mad: :mad: :mad: Now is the time to provide your new kitchen with a ring all to itself. :cool: :cool: :cool:

You only have to plug in a kettle, a toaster and a microwave and that 13 amp fuse will be popping on a regular basis. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Can you explain what purpose the ":mad: :mad: :mad: " in your post served, i.e. what information it conveyed that would have been missing if you hadn't put them there?

Or are you just an idiot who has no idea why he does things?

Now is the time to provide your new kitchen with a ring all to itself. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Ditto regarding the ":cool: :cool: :cool: ".

Have you really got nothing better to do with your life than to whinge about people using smiley faces in their posts? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just who do you think you are?

There's a guy that comes in our pub who struts about like he owns the place giving it the big I am. Nobody likes him either.

Have you really got nothing better to do with your life than to whinge about people using smiley faces in their posts? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yes, but that doesn't mean that I have to do only them.

Just who do you think you are?
Someone who would like to know, in the context of a written communication intended to impart information, what informative purpose those multiple smilies serve.

There's a guy that comes in our pub who struts about like he owns the place giving it the big I am. Nobody likes him either.
The day I give a **** whether you like me or not is the day you can have me carried away. I'm not "strutting about like I own the place" - I'm asking someone who puts multiple smilies in his posts what purpose they serve.

I'd like to know what extra information was given by

"You only have to plug in a kettle, a toaster and a microwave and that 13 amp fuse will be popping on a regular basis. :mad: :mad: :mad: "

and

"Now is the time to provide your new kitchen with a ring all to itself. :cool: :cool: :cool: "

which would have been missed out if Space cat had only written

"You only have to plug in a kettle, a toaster and a microwave and that 13 amp fuse will be popping on a regular basis."

and

"Now is the time to provide your new kitchen with a ring all to itself."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back