Thumping/Shuddering Noise Citroen ZX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.4i. A few weeks ago while driving back from my partners the car started making a thumping sound like a loose wheel when going round left hand corners. I quickly stopped and checked the wheels which were all tight.

My father is a mechanic and I know a lot myself and I suspected the drive shaft as I had similar symtoms with another car just before the shaft snapped. I brought the car to a mechanic who tested the shaft and said it was fine. He suspected the problem was with either the brakes, which were badly worn down or the tyre. I agreed that these would be replaced at a cost of £160.
This seemed to cure the problem until today, the day after I got the car MOT'd. The problem has now returned. I jacked the car up and pulled and shook the wheels and can find no signs of play anywhere.

Any help much appreciated.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
A clatter when turning corners on full lock is indeed a sign of driveshaft issues - however, do check under there for broken springs, and at the same time see that the car steers from left to right without notchiness.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back