Ticking noise from Potterton Puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, have woke up this morning to a really annoying \\\"ticking\\\" noise coming from the boiler. It sounds like someone has put a bomb in there, constantly tick tick tick tick tick, but much quicker than if it were a watch or clock. Any ideas what could be causing this problem. It sounds like something technical????

Sponsored Links
If it's a permanent-pilot model, the fan turns at low speed all the time the burner is OFF (to ventilate the pilot and keep things cool). Quite likely that a tick at about 1 per sec is the fan bearing going home slowly (at low speed).

The fan in mine appears to have 'gone home'. Rear bearing is OK. Front appears to be a bit stiff. A while ago, the motor cooling fan came loose and drifted a bit, binding on the motor. Quite easily fixed, but I could not get the main fan off. I found the grubscrew and released it, but the fan would not come off the shaft. Is there a trick?

Thanks - Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Stevie, did you ever work out what's wrong with your Potterton Puma 80? I've got the exact same problem. The ticking is driving me nuts!

Thanks.

5 years later i still say fan
ok-wink.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back