tight taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if someone could help me....
The taps for our tub have been leaking and really hard to shut off. My handy man replaced the washers, but I'm certain the whole internal mechanism needs replacement. The guy at the hardware store saw them, but said all we needed to do was apply some plumbers grease, as the threads don't appear worn. The tap's not dripping now but the taps are really hard to turn on or off now. The grease didn't work. What do we REALLY need to do? Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
To start with if u r in canada fine . if not choosing a country outside the uk dont give uk guys confidence to comment on products they may not of seen. you may hav some lime scale deposits on the fitting that need removing before greasing . limescale can look like black or green or white deposit in the inner socket & plunger of the tap that want to be rubbed off with emery paper then apply silicone grease reasemble & try.

Without seeing the type of taps you have it's hard to diagnose. If they're the standard type then your handyman may have overtightened the gland nut resulting in the stiffness.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back