Tile cutter blown electrics..help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been tiling the bathroom and using a electric tile cutter for several cuts,
About an hour ago I was making a cut and noticed an electrical burning smell coming from the cutter and it started to make a funny noise and then it stopped and the lights went out along with the radio which was plugged in the other room. I ran downstairs to check if the rcd had tripped but it hasn't? I flicked all the switches off and on again on the fuse box but still no power?
I am now back at my parents house to stay the night, one thing I didn't do was to press the reset button...doh!! Could this sort it out or am I looking at a major problem...any advice before I call out a spark to take a look?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I have no idea with electrics, there are several switches on the unit one for lights down stairs one for lights upstairs one for plug sockets etc so did appear to have tripped. When I got back to parents house they said did I try and press the reset button. Have never had to do this before and never even noticed a reset button?

So to be clear in my understanding the rcd unit has several switches that provide power for lights and sockets throughout the house and when I lost all power to the house I checked the rcd unit and all the switches on the unit were still in the on position. But is there like a master reset button or something I should be looking for?

Sponsored Links
Need a picture of your fusebox to give an opinion, but you may need to repair the damage to (whatever) before you switch any thing else on!

If your CU has a RCD there is a TEST button NOT a reset button. You need to make sure that is on. If using your tile cutter has caused the fault then make sure it is unplugged first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back