Tile vent quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would greatly appreciate help with these questions, I have looked around the site but unfortunately not found the answers!!

I am installing 2 ceiling mounted extractor fans for a cubicle shower and another shower that is in a bath. I want to connect both hoses to one vent tile in the roof. I have a big loft where working is very easy.
I wanted to ask the following questions.

1. Is £220 a reasonable quote for fitting a roof vent tile for the steam expulsion? That is what my roofer quoted. seems like a lot.

2. Is there a connector that will allow me to connect both the flexible hoses (one from the shower extractor and one from the bathroom) extractor to the one vent tile? Thus saing me another £220 by avoiding a second roof vent tile!!

3. Should I install the extractor above the bath where all the water vapour is generated, or somewhere more central in the bathroom?

4. I don't need a timer over-run, so can I ignore the "permanent live" input on the fans and just stick with a switched live? To do this do I need to put a wire between the Switched live and Permanent live connectors on the fan?

Many thanks from a novice!

Deysam

Sponsored Links
Is your loft converted? Boarded out under the rafters? If running a pipe into the loft much easier to go out through the eaves.

Best place for the fan is furthest away from the door, but above the bath/shower is ok, assuming you have a fan rated for this purpose.

The price is probably mostly the time it takes to drive out, unload the ladders, erect and make secure, climb up onto the roof, then take it al down afterwards. The roofer will probably need a mate as he is working at height. I bet it would not cost double if you asked for two vents to be fitted in one visit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice.
I understand that I need a seperate hose for each extractor, but can I not join them together before conncting them to the vent?
Seems ridiculous to have to have 2 seperate holes in the roof when one should do?
Maybe I am being thick!

If you join them together, when you have one of the fans running, and not the other, what would stop the damp air from the bathroom being pumped into the kitchen?

That's a very good point!!
That means 2 vent tiles then. Damn it! (Doubles the cost).
What about connecting the hoses to a nearby chimney brest??
Is that safe do you think?

it will be safe, as long as you don't mind the chimney getting wet with condensation, and black stains forming on the plaster.

As I said, if you have two vents installed in one visit, it shouldn't cost twice as much as one.

A roof vent will actually draw steam or warm air up without needing a fan (works like a chimney) so get fans with automatic shutters

Don't position an electric fan directly above a bath or shower, as the electrical safety rules are then more stringent and expensive to meet (unlesss the ceiling is more than 3 metres high).

I am not sure if the chimney is capped or not.
Does it make a difference?
I don't want to cause myself more problems with damp!
Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back