Tiled gas fire hearth

• Thread starter Deleted member 216148
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 216148

I'm replacing my gas fire surround and hearth. It's a gas fire which is built into the chimney breast, and has a granite (or fake granite) slab behind the fire on the wall, with the surround around that.

I'm going to use some slate tiles I have to build a new hearth, but the tiles are too thin compared to the existing hearth so they'll need to be put on something to raise them up.

Any suggestions on what material I should be mounting them on?

Also, I was thinking of framing the front edge and sides of the tiles with a wood, but is this against regs?

Thanks for any advice, sorry if this is the wrong forum

Sponsored Links
What depth of build-up below the slate tiles do you need?

Typically you will have a pre-install visit from a gas safe installer and the gas safe could deal with any wood trim questions.

Hello, thanks for replying.

I need to build up about 1 inch to match the current hearth.

I won't have a pre-install visit because I'm not touching the existing gas fire - I'm leaving it as is. I'm just replacing the wood surround and hearth. Does this need a visit from a has safe installer??

Thanks

Perhaps read my response to the "Prepping Floor... " question, below in the tile forum for the hearth business?

From what i understand, you are apparently going to disconnect and later re-connect the gas fire - that is Gas Safe territory. If i've got the wrong end of the stick, could you post a pic of whats existing?

A posted pic with some dimensions would also help for advising on the wood trim. Sorry for going on a bit.

If you want other opinions you could ask the mods to transfer your post to the Plumbing and Gas forum?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.

The hearth is not attached to the fire, its just sitting on a concrete base and can slide out leaving the gas fire attached to the wall. So I don't need to disconnect the fire at all. Currently the tiles won't be high enough when on top of the concrete.

Let me know if you still need photos.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back