Tiled shelf leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house came with this tiled box within a shower.

The box was made of plaster board and eventually water got in and it swelled and let more water through etc... So I rebuilt the box in exterior ply and re-tiled it. Two years later and the same thing has happened again.

I guess normal grouting isn't perfectly waterproof. How should I go about it this time? (I will use edge beading this time!)[/img]

Sponsored Links
The walls need tanking, I would clad in plasterboard then use a tanking membrane ontop, the main issue here is the horizontal section, how about using a cut to size stone worktop which slightly overhangs the vertical tiling, it would make it a lot easier and cleaner.

Sponsored Links
tile trim across the top will just let water sit...try a bullnose tile..
EPOXY grout is WATERPROOF...
could u not just stripe the box away an tile wall..if not have the top off the box falling foward (angle down) for water to run off.

if u go for the stone worktop remember to get a drip channel cut into the underside of the overhang :)

could u not just stripe the box away an tile wall..if not have the top off the box falling foward (angle down) for water to run off.

now whose being technical, i dont think epoxy grout is the way to go for a novice mate ;)
you know the score

now whose being technical, i dont think epoxy grout is the way to go for a novice mate ;)
you know the score

thats what apprentices are for lol..and marigolds....
had a guy many moons ago all his joint swelt up and his b***s turns out he was allergic to the stuff...the lucky b*****d... :LOL:

dont think his missus was complaining that much if i remeber right.. :LOL:

and no it wasnt ME...

plenty people allergic to it mate, i remember the first couple of times i used it back in 1987/88 swollen wristd, blotchy arms and a bit high at times ;)

oh how i long for the good old days NOT :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am surprised the tilers didn't ask this - is the box sturdy enough? How tick is the ply you used and what is the distance between the batons to which the ply is screwed? What centres did you screw? If the base is too flexible, whatever you use wouldn't last long.

And I would imagine you have to use flexible adhesive and grout - same requirements as for floor tiling.

Another option in my opinion is to use cement-sand mixture instead of adhesive. Long ago we tiled an old laminate kitchen worktop this way and had no problems (lived there for 10 years).

I am surprised the tilers didn't ask this - is the box sturdy enough? How tick is the ply you used and what is the distance between the batons to which the ply is screwed? What centres did you screw? If the base is too flexible, whatever you use wouldn't last long.

And I would imagine you have to use flexible adhesive and grout - same requirements as for floor tiling.

Another option in my opinion is to use cement-sand mixture instead of adhesive. Long ago we tiled an old laminate kitchen worktop this way and had no problems (lived there for 10 years).

dont think its the sub structure.going by the pics it doesnt look a big area.
it either grout.addy or a hairline crack in tile or silicone seal.
op as stated it lasts for about 2yrs so my monies on one of the above ere mate i may be wrong tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back