tiles falling off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

the tiles in my basement flat bathroom are falling of and taking a layer of plaster with them, the resulting surface is a flakey render.

do i need to replaster the wall before retiling or will a few good coats of unibond surfice

thanks

Sponsored Links
Read the post on here I wrote about PVA (unibond). Don't use it.

Also investigate the reason the tiles/plaster are falling off, don't just cover it all up again as you'll probably see it all happen again.

These things usually happen for a reason.

It sounds like a damp problem to me. You'd probably be better off hacking the render off and screwing Aquapanel to the wall and tiling on that.

joe

Sponsored Links
another problem may be in the 70's/80's tile manufacturers made self-spacing tiles, (tiles whitch had small lugs on them so you could tile with out spacers) good idea at the time but as walls moved they fall off after a while, i'm seeing it alot at the moment! if your tiles have a very small grout gap ( about 1-2mm there is a good chance), so you may have no problem with you walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back