tiles on floorboards

• Thread starter deanibusmaximus
  • Start date
D

deanibusmaximus

Hi all! I have been asked to tile an upstairs bathroom. Is onto old floorboards. I have concerns about this so suggested ripping up floorboards and replacing with 18mm wbp ply, then use rapid flex powdered adh, so there would be a good base without raising the level. However, the client went to the builders merchant who said that it is ok to tile on floorboards as long as the correct adhesive is used. Is he right? Would i be over engineering things by re boarding? I am a fusspot and want to get it right. Any advice appreciated.

Dean[/i]

Sponsored Links
Who is correct the tradesman or the customer? Are you a tiler???

The floor needs to be lined with ply.

Andy

the...floor....what condition is it in??...

thickness/joist span/area...?

Tiling directly over floorboards (assuming they are timber) is extremely risky even with high quality (& expensive) tiling materials. I wouldn’t do it & advise you don’t either, not without a written client disclaimer with regard to any warranty on the work.

I would advise at least over-boarding either with WBP or a decent tile backer board but if the raised threshold is a problem, replace with 18-25mm WBP ply, at least you will know where you stand with it. In most cases 18mm is sufficient in a low use/load area such as a bathroom but the actual thickness will depend on joist size/pitch/span; as stated, more info needed.

Sponsored Links
i've seen lots of misinformation like this just lately, mostly since the new breed so super flexible adhesives have come out. Yes the adhesive will certainly stick to floorboards\chipboard etc and it will stay stuck due to how flexible it is - problem is the tiles aren't flexible so they will crack. Customer will then be left with a nicely stuck cracked floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back