Tiling 5 x 3.5 m area

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I know asking for prices is frowned upon on the forums and probably rightly so, but I am just trying to get a ball park figure. At the moment I have no idea where to even start setting the budget for this job to see if we can really afford the whole hog. I don't want to waste peoples time by getting them out to quote unless I am serious about moving it forward.

Floor is concrete and flat. Kitchen is about 4.6m by 3.5m and rectangular with all wall/floor joints covered by units except for the 3 doors and one walk through area. Assume SWMBO chooses tiles and procures them, can anybody tell me what sort of budget I ought to consider for a tiler to provide the cement, labour and expertise to lay them?

I would be happy with even a fairly wide price band (eg up to about £750, £1000 to £2000) which would at least point me in the right direction, but obviously the narrower the band the better.

A rough idea of how long it would take and drying times would also help.

Never had a tiled floor befor so just have no idea

Thanks

Sponsored Links
DJM said:
OK, I know asking for prices is frowned upon on the forums and probably rightly so, but I am just trying to get a ball park figure.
Eat lots of crispbread and celery?

I don't want to waste peoples time by getting them out to quote unless I am serious about moving it forward.
The question you have to ask yourself is: Do I feel serious?

Well, DJM, do you?

Well I realised it was potentially a thread which may get little response, but I had expected to understand any I received.

We have specced the kitchen, electric work is already underway, and had planned for cushioned vinyl flooring in the budget. But since we are spending quite a lot, we thought that maybe we should reconsider and go for tiles instead. No simple way of seeing how the budget would be affected except to ask here or get a quote.

People here could probably give a rough figure in a few seconds and if it is well outside our budget we revert to plan A. If not then we can get a full quote without feeling we may be wasting the tilers precious time. Just trying to be a responsible.

If anybody can help it would be appreciated.

Any tiler should be happy to come out and give you a quote without obligation,tilers generally supply there own adhesive and possibly grout so check if this is included in their price.
If they use rapid set adhesive could probably do the lot in a day possibly 2 depending on how fast they are and how many of them are doing the work.

Sponsored Links
Hi DJM.Just a pointer for you.Measure the actual area to be tiled eg;height of area x length or area.Most good tilers will quote about £25 - £30 per square metre.Then on top they will charge for adhesive and grout.

haveagoyourself said:
Hi DJM.Just a pointer for you.Measure the actual area to be tiled eg;height of area x length or area.Most good tilers will quote about £25 - £30 per square metre.Then on top they will charge for adhesive and grout.

is that london prices?

It depends on the size and type of tile. Small tiles take longer, porcelain need a more expensive adhesive.
If just regular ceramic tiles (330mm x 330mm), reckon on about £60-£70 for adhesive and grout. I would assume a total cost of no more than £500 for labour and materials (not including tiles obviously).
I would expect the majority of tiles to be laid easily in a day. Maybe a few awkward tiles laid next morning. Grouted after 3 hours. Total job - 2 days tops.

thanks for the replies

gcol,
so if I have a working estimate of £600 plus 20% for London prices = £720, and work on 2 days for the entire job (excluding tiles), then I shouldn't have too many nasty surprises., and maybe a pleasent one?

Might still be a bit too rich with all the other costs, but at least now I can go and look at the budget. Thanks

DJM said:
thanks for the replies

gcol,
so if I have a working estimate of £600 plus 20% for London prices = £720, and work on 2 days for the entire job (excluding tiles), then I shouldn't have too many nasty surprises., and maybe a pleasent one?

Might still be a bit too rich with all the other costs, but at least now I can go and look at the budget. Thanks

where are you?

jefoss said:
where are you?
North East Surrey / South West London depending on which authority / supplier / council you talk to. In general we suffer from London prices, mad Ken's lunatic money grabbing schemes, but without any of the assocuiated infrastructure improvements or fringe benefits :)

DJM said:
jefoss said:
where are you?
North East Surrey / South West London depending on which authority / supplier / council you talk to. In general we suffer from London prices, mad Ken's lunatic money grabbing schemes, but without any of the assocuiated infrastructure improvements or fringe benefits :)

email me i may be able to help. click on my name my email is listed there

DJM said:
thanks for the replies

gcol,

You should be far out. Of course this is without seeing the job.

Thanks for the replies. SWMBO is going tile hunting at the weekend and we will revisit the budgets then. If we can afford it and go for tiles, I am sure I'll be back asking more questions and getting in touch with those who offered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back