Tiling a hearth for a 5-8kw woodburner - special cement??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

we have opened up our fireplace, and are getting one of these fitted:
Bohemia_X40_main_pic.jpg

The fireplace is currently bare brick back and sides, , and a cement/floorboard floor.

As the bricks are not in the best condition, and plasterers have told us the cost of heatproof plaster is excessive, we are planning to get a local fabricators to make us a 1.5 or 3mm thick steel liner (finished in black) if that makes sense, which will sit inside the fireplace and cover the back and sides.

We have bought some exterior slate effect, but what I believe are sandstone tiles from Jewsons
12M_PAV_FAIR_BL_SW_Swatch-of-Black-Limestone_23.jpg

http://www.jewsonlandscaping.co.uk/...aving/fairstones/fairstone-riven-stone-paving

And we have bought some BAL grey heat resistant grout to grout them in.

What we are unsure about is whether to use a simple sand/cement mix to pay them, or whether we need a specific adhesive that is flexible, and will reduce the risk of cracking.

What would people suggest?

Additionally is there a good spacing for the grout, I see some people said not to use any at all, and others said they kept it to a minimum, but I couldn't really understand why.

I have no idea how much heat will reach the actual hearth, as obviously it is on legs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan,

The temperature at the base will be less than 100c assuming that your stove is compitable with 12mm hearths.

I'm planning the same as you. But I'm, well, confused! Look at these links.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201649
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206812

Tell us how you get on.
Thanks for those links, I see where the confusion stems from!

We are having a go this weekend, chap who fits them is adamant sand/cement is fine, and i'm inclined to trust him with 25 years experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back