Tiling a shower over green Knauf plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder dot and dab moisture resistant (green) Knauf plasterboard onto the bathroom brick wall where a shower cubical is going to be installed. He plans to tile over that. Does that sound OK? Should I ask him to do it differently? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will need to be tanked before tiling.

Also need to check weight of tiles, usually it would need to be mechanically fixed through the dabs. Should've used cement boards for a dedicated shower cubicle really!

It looks like the consensus is thar green boards aren't the best to use in bathroom especially in a wet area. I'll ask him to change it to cement boards. Do the cement boards have to be tanked as well?

No need to tank cement boards, just tape the joins with fiberglass jointing tape (plasterers scrim tape). You can bed this in a thin skim of tile adhesive when tiling

Sponsored Links
I explored various options such as the Knauf Aquapanel (see link in my previous post) but Knauf tell me not to dot and dab it because their product is cement based and the flue is gypsum based and the two aren't compatible. They told me that i should screw in onto a timber stud-wall which is not suitable because my brick wall is uneven. Marmox tell me i can dot and dab their boards but it is virtually impossible to get 1200 x 2400 boards unless i want to buy a pallet load. I prefer to use one board floor to ceiling rather than two. I fund the following at Builders Depot. http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/hydro-insulated-tilebacker-board-10mm-x-600mm-x-2400mm.html Has anyone used it and let me know your impressions? Thanks

Without knowing the size and type of shower tray its awkward to advise. The 600mm board you mention, fixed vertically, will leave you with a vertical join up to wherever. Most shower trays are more than 600mm on any one side.
If the cement backer board is pulled out too far it can become proud of the surrounding plaster board. This can be overcome but its best to keep the panels in plane with the p/b.
If you use mechanical fixings, which you should, just plug and screw as you would anything else.

Without knowing the size and type of shower tray its awkward to advise.
I'm installing a Bette 800X1600 shower tray.
If the cement backer board is pulled out too far it can become proud of the surrounding plaster board
I'll use the tile backer to line the entire wall so it should all be level.

I'll be using 10mmx30mm metro ceramic tiles floor to ceiling. Is a 12.5mm Hydro tile backer this enough or do I need a 20mm thick tile backer?

Get the largest size backer board you can handle. The idea is to have the least amount of joins to be taped. If necessary very large boards can be cut outside the house after measuring whats needed. 12.5mm board is great for your size tile.
I prefer to set the shower tray in first, keep it tight to the walls or studding, and drop the backer board down so that its almost sitting on the rim of the shower base.

Thanks mate. Shower tray is being installed as we speak and I'll offer the tile backers to the tray as you suggest.
IMAG1250.jpg

Last edited:
I can get Orbry or Hydro tile backers. Anyone knows which one is better?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back