Tiling above worktop that isn't level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give! Am tiling my kitchen, but have just discovered that the work surface on one side of the cooker we have is slightly lower than the run of worktop on the other side of the cooker (I know, I know - the person who fitted it needs to buy a spirit level...)

So am wondering what your advice would be to compensate for this height difference without leaving a big gap between the bottom tile and worktop over the lower portion..? It runs out by about 8mm (would you believe I've never ever noticed it in the 5 years I've lived in the house?). I was thinking about tiling on an ever so slight slant to compensate for the run out - think it would end up being over the distance of about 2.5metres so hopefully wouldn't be noticeable....

Any advice would be much appreciated as to perhaps how you good people have overcome a similar situation.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Your best bet would be to start on the second row of tiles above the work surface, screw a wooden batten to the wall to help you get this row level if you need to. Then finally cut the bottom row of tiles at a slant to size at the end.

Does that even make sense? Sorry if i didn't word that too well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back