Tiling around shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just about to embark on a complete new bathroom refit and am installing shower cubicle/enclosure. Can someone tell me the correct way to tile around this?

The bathroom is going to be completely gutted and tiled both floor and ceiling. Is it best to install the shower tray and tile around it or tile the area around the tray (floor and wall) initally and then place and fit the tray onto the new tiles.

I've heard differnt ideas to wall tile down to the tray and leave a 3mm gap to then silicone seal, does this sound correct?
Any suggestion appriciated

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you tile the walls and then put the shower tray in , it will need to be perfectly square otherwise its not going to fit great.

I have a mira shower tray with tiling up stands, basically you notch out the wall, recess the tray in the wall, and tile on top of the tray, resting a tile spacer on the bottom of the tray, to allow for movement and then silicone it.

I can't see how my tray will ever leak, except water through the tiling. However tiling first, if you get a bit of crap silicone, could easily get a leak..

PTS stock mira trays

Tank the area where the shower will be down to the floor.

Position the tray where you would like it then mark on the wall the top of the tray.

Now check the tiling sticky regarding setting out.

Once you know where your tiles are going position a batten for the first row of full tiles above the tray and tile as normal.

Once tiled fit the tray in position and silicon any gaps between tray and wall.

Now you just have the tiles between the tray and row above to fit so less chance of mess/damage to your new tray

leave a 2/3mm gap between tiles and tray for siliconing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back