Tiling/Flooring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting tiles down in my kitchen, but I have 2 problem areas. If i put 3/4" plywood down and then tile on top, the floor will be raised by about 1 inch.

My back door opens inwards, and there isn't a 1 inch clearance underneath it. Plus its aluminium, so I wont be able to trim it! Also, my dishwasher & washing machine won't fit under the worktop if the floor is raised by 1 inch.

So i am thinking of removing all the floorboards and putting the plywood straight onto the joists. Would this be ok? The joists are 14" apart.

I'm just concerned about movement. i.e the floorboards are solid at the moment so putting 3/4" ply on top would make it stronger. However if I just have 3/4" ply on the joists, will it be strong enough?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you considered tiling straight onto the floorboards? If they are straight enough then you can go straight onto them with a flexible adhesive... Why board at all? If your boards aren't that good then it may be easier to fix them than take it up altogether and replace.....

3/4 ply should be stronger than t and g boards anyway if you did want to replace.

The floorboards aren't in great condition, it'd be easier to replace all with ply. I was just looking for re-assurance that 3/4" ply would be ok on it's own. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Obviously, marine ply in a kitchen. Standard stuff will delaminate the first time your washer leaks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back