Travertine floor height problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ordered some 18mm marine ply to lay on the top of the existing wooden floorboards in my 1930's house bathroom before I lay the tiles. The problem I've got is the floor height, when tiled it will be raised approx 30mm which I think is too high. I'm sure I read somewhere that I can rip up existing floorboards ,add some extra noggins and fit the plywood onto the joists thus loosing the floorboard thickness, is that correct.

Sponsored Links
dont know about extra noggins (but good idea if secure) why not

yep,you need noggins where the plywood abuts the other plywood,then screw down with 2"x10s screws @6" spacings.mark on the ply with a marker pen where the pipes are.

Sponsored Links
I'd replace the old boards but use a thicker ply with travertine, 22 or 25mm as it needs more support than ceramic/porcelain tiling. But this will depend on your joist spacing, spans and the tile size and thickness to some extent.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back