tiling kitchen walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just found this site so this is my first post on a topic I know very little about!

We are having a new kitchen fitted next week - old one was done 20 years ago. It's not going to be flashy but I'd like it to look right. I was wondering what the norm is for tiling kitchen walls these days? Some say to tile all round about half way up, others say only behind the hob.
I'll only be having 3 walls with possibly any tiles on as one wall has a window looking into garden, base units, built in fridge, wall unit above and worktop - so that wall will be painted.
Going round the 'new' kitchen from left to right I'll have the tall housing for double oven, base and wall units and worktop, next wall has a window with the sink below it, worktop, built in dishwasher and a wall unit. Next wall will have no wall units but worktop, hob with cooker hood, base units/drawers.

Any ideas please??

Sponsored Links
most people have splashbacks fitted, maybe 3-4 tiles high (depending on size of tiles) then all the way up to the cooker hood

I thought a splashback was something behind the hob, often up to the cooker hood? Can a splashback be somewhere else?

Sponsored Links
Ah - I see now!! So, up to the hood and all round the bench tops for 4 tiles high? My old tiles are 6"x6" but been looking at the 4x4" (10x10mm?) modern ones - well to me they are modern! I'll need to cover the window ledge with tiles again and up the sides a bit unless it's plastered then painted.
So you wouldn't put them right up from worktop to under wall cabinets? Certainly will be cheaper your way! :oops:

Ah - I see now!! So, up to the hood and all round the bench tops for 4 tiles high? My old tiles are 6"x6" but been looking at the 4x4" (10x10mm?) modern ones - well to me they are modern! I'll need to cover the window ledge with tiles again and up the sides a bit unless it's plastered then painted.
So you wouldn't put them right up from worktop to under wall cabinets? Certainly will be cheaper your way! :oops:

4x4 = 100 x 100mm

Yes you can tile upto the bases of your wall units if you want to, it does look nice.You mentioned paint on the walls, , stick a bit duck tape on the wall and leave for a few mins then pull it off, if any paint is on the tape you need to get the paint off the wall. If no paint on the tape just give the wall a light sanding to gain a key coat

Image045.jpg

Image043.jpg

Image044.jpg

mosiac2.jpg

mosaic.jpg

the top 3 are splashback, bottom 2 are benchtop to ceiling height, hope this might help you make your mind up

Thanks very much for the photos! I prefer the 3 top ones, don't fancy tiles right to the ceiling as on one wall there won't be any tiles. A decorator is going to put backing paper on the none tiled area and paint it - walls not good enough to simply paint!

Thanks for all your help. Now to go tile hunting! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back