Tiling on brick stairs

ELF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this I'm so hoping that someone out there will be able to help.
We've got some old brick stairs going down to our cellar, they have been painted but its not that good and its peeling off. We've now converted the cellar and we were hoping to tile the stairs. WE've bought some tiles (mosaic) that we are hoping to fix.

My question is, as these stairs are dusty and flakey what would be the best thing to "seal" them? Would i need to do this and is it possible?

All advise welcome as i don't want to find out that the tiles are goign to fall off if we just slap them on stairs as they are.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Hello there.
Your best bet is take off all loos bits, make sure to use wire brush, hand or drill attachment to bring down to solid surface, than mix 50/50 PVA and water than apply to the wall, leave to dry. This will give a sealing membrane to the wall as well as some strength for the till to stick to. Frank

Thanks Frank,
Do you know if all tile adhesives will fix to a pva base?

Cheers,
Louise

Sponsored Links
ELF said:
Thanks Frank,
Do you know if all tile adhesives will fix to a pva base?

Cheers,
Louise
Sorry didn't come back sooner, the answer is yes but, use only good brand adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back