tiling on chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone i am wanting to tile my conservatorie floor which is just been put up, with a solid chipboard floor, can i tile straight onto this or do i have to put something else down first , thanks all

Sponsored Links
So your cons. has a suspended floor? Do you have any insulation under there? Do you have U/F heating? Chipboard flooring is cheap & nasty stuff IMO & is probably the worst flooring you can pick for a tile base, personally I would never tile straight onto it. You would have been far better using WBP ply which, provided is of suitable thickness & rigidity for the floor construction, you can tile straight onto. Assuming you not likely to want to replace the chip now it’s down, really the only choice you have is to overboard & tile onto that.

Suspended timber floors must be rigid to accept tiles or they will fail & this is largely a factor of the joist size pitch & span which must be taken into consideration in each case; in some cases simply over boarding will not be enough unless you use an expensive latex based adhesive. A conservatory is a heavy use/load area so I would advise minimum 15mm WPB secured every 150mm through into the joists not just into the top of the chip; you should seal the back & edges with an SBR primer before laying. Alternatively you can use a tile backer board such as Marmox (also gives insulation) or Hardy, preferably minimum 12.5mm not 6mm boards, use a quality trade flexible adhesive & grout suitable for your tiles, avoid the cheapo DIY shed stuff.

I agree with Richard.

Sounds like it could be a floating floor.

I would overboard as Richard says then use a 2 part flexible adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back