Tiling on render/plaster walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use a cement based powder tile adhesive as a thin levelling coat on a pitted/repaired cement wall prior to tiling it?
Having chisilled off the old tiles that were stuck on with cement I ended up with patches of good render and patches of exposed brick.Have repaired the bad patches with render mix but surface is too uneven to tile on,also only the bottom half of the bathroom is affected as it was only half tiled.The top half is good finished plaster.
To level up the lower half to the top only requires a thin coat approx 3mm.
I thought I coulld use a cement based tile adhesive in a 25kg bag as a screed to smooth out the bottom half and then use same to glue tiles on.
I intend to tile floor to ceiling.
I am no professional but as I am tiling over them it doesn't need to be silky smooth finish, just level (ish)

Sponsored Links
Maybe I am far from the best to reply to this but to me that all sounds perfectly fine !

I am a DIY'er who has renovated several houses over the last 30 years but has lost touch with modern developments which is why I want to qualify my position in offering advice - it may not be considered correct by todays standards but tiles I have fixed using the same methods are still up and water tight so I assume it isn't such a bad thing to do....(though it may not be the cheapest or easiest method !)

Now lets wait for someone to explain why I am giving bad advice which I am more than happy to hear and take on board !

Having used some standard set tile adhesive (£12.99 /20KG) from B&Q mixed with their Mortar mix (£5.50 /20kg) @ about 25% I found it worked brilliantly.
Makes a nice buttery mix easy to spread and sticks well to almost anything spread either thick or thin.Bit hard to mix as it thicker and heavier than plain mortar but worth the trouble.
Not for professional use but works well for us amateurs.Finished off by light brush over.
Good enough for tiling now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back