Tiling over floor with damp ingress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tiling my kitchen floor and where the French doors are, there's a course of bricks where it meets up with the concrete floor. In a few areas, water soaks up into the bricks as this picture shows:

leaky_floor.jpg

There was a piece of DPC covering the bricks, and running underneath the French doors, but the plasterer cut the thing for some reason best known to him...

Anyway, I'm wondering how best to tackle this. Can I just place a piece of DPC down and tile over it? I'm not sure about this because surely the adhesive won't grip and the tiles will not be fixed into place if they're simply sat on the DPC. They'll move which will crack the grout I reckon. Is there some sort of sealant or resin I can apply to seal the bricks so they don't soak the water into the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Was the fench door put in a ex-window or has it always been there. Can you do more photo on the front under the cill and the side wall ?

masona said:
Was the fench door put in a ex-window or has it always been there. Can you do more photo on the front under the cill and the side wall ?

Thanks for looking masona!

The following picture is outside, directly under the French doors. They were put in where a window was previously.

UnderFrenchDoor.jpg

Notice the holes/slots at the top of the brick. I have no idea what they are for, but I seem to remember that the slots ran into the brick and had some water in when the French doors were fitted. Interestingly, I can't see where a DPC has been fitted although I have seen one on the other side of the room. Having said that, there's no cavity on this wall but there is on the other side! :rolleyes:

Also, now I'm looking at it, I think that wall desperately needs pointing!

To be honest for long term I would break the concrete section up and investigate because I don't think the bridging is done properly. Is it a cavity wall ? I'm guessing the holes underneath was maybe a breaker drill when removing exsisiting wall and I cannot see any DPC from the front.

Sponsored Links
I think the damp is coming up from the ground to be honest and I think this is why there's holes or slots made into the brick. The holes are slots and water tends to pool in them from what I remember when the door frame hadn't been fitted. I don't know what you mean about bridging - there's no cavity on this wall, just two courses of solid brick. I don't see that there's a lot I can do about it for now so I just want to tile over it. Is there an epoxy suitable for sealing the brick (once it's dried out). The rainfall has been extremely heavy here recently so I'm having to wait anyway...

From what you've said though. I am just tempted to pull out that brick to see what's going on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back