Tiling over small wall tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are now considering an alternative remedy for our kitchen wall tiles,our existing tiles are very well attached to the unplastered plasterboard paper surface.
To remove the tiles will just destroy the plasterboard so we are considering a tile over option. We have seen tile backer board is this suitable for glueing directly to the existing tiles,then fit tiles to the board ?.
What sort of preparation is required for the existing tiled walls ?.
Any do's and dont'd to consider ?

Many thanks,again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just tile on tile. As long as you clean and degrease the existing ones tile directly over the old ones, no need for backer board.

yep I would thoroughly clean them then used a decent powdered adhesive most are suitable for tile over tile

However you go with pulling out the finished surface, consider:
Knuckle bumping behind any taps on the bath head rim.
Window or soap niche openings.
Elec shower units.
Any projecting fittings such as valves, spouts or shower heads.
Enclosures.

Sponsored Links
yep I would thoroughly clean them then used a decent powdered adhesive most are suitable for tile over tile
Thanks for the help,
As a diy I prefer ready mixed adhesives,which ready mixed adhesive for tile over is recommended ?
Prefer to buy from a tile shop not a shed or eBay,anyone know independent tile shops in south Kent ?
Thanks again,great stuff.

Bal say that their ready mixed adhesives are suitable for tile over tile, but personally I'm not sure I would be that confident and they shouldn't be used to fix non porous tiles
Dispersion adhesives work by literally drying out whereas cement based adhesives set by chemical reaction, so if you do use a dispersion adhesive over a non porous substrate then you will need to leave it a lot longer before grouting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back