Tiling over uneven concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got (/had) tiles covering the kitchen floor, leading through a little lobby and into the bathroom. I've taken them up in the bathroom and lobby (may have been hasty in taking them up there).

They were layed on concrete, but i'm not sure what adhesive was used as the adhesive/grout look cement based too. As a result, a lot of this is still stuck on the floor, and it's only where chunks of the concrete have come up (leaving holes up to 20mm deep in patches) that i've got down to the concrete.

What's the best way of levelling this off? Is self levelling compound the way to go and how hard would that be over the whole area if i took up the kitchen floor as well?

I would have gone over the tiles, but it was already higher than the front room floor that the kitchen leads directly off and when i get out to the back i already hit my head on the door frames out of the lobby and into the bathroom so don't want to raise too much! :LOL:

Thanks for your help!

Kev
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
it's probably already had self leveling on it and that's what you're pulling up..
scrape it back to the concrete and don't level it as high this time if it's already higher.. that way you can get it flush with the lounge floor..

How easy is the self levelling to use? (first home so absolute novice i'm afraid, but very willing to learn! :D )
would i need to do the kitchen/bathroom/lobby in one go or can u break it down in sections?

Cheers,

p.s great sign off! :LOL:

the self levelling is p*ss to use, best way to do a job like this, make sure you clear as much as poss first tho

Sponsored Links
cheers, thanks guys - i'll give it a go and see what happens - hope the drill lasts - those tiles/etc are a b****r to get up!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back