Tiling shower area - Newbie help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to start tiling our en-suite in the loft conversion and wanted to check a couple of things.

The missus wants to use 25cm x 50cm tiles for the walls, is it OK to put these straight onto tilebacker board using Bal single Part Flexible adhesive? Also part of the wall becomes a skeiling?! due to it being a loft conversion, will this size of tile and process be ok on this?

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
The adhesives fine, whether the tiles will stay on ceiling, is another issue.
Blue star might be a better option

Thanks for the prompt reply, apprecieated.

I'll look into the blue star.

Is there anything i should be doing to help the Tiles stay on? it is a sloping ceiling about 45 degrees.

EDIT: sorry i looked into BLue Star and it is premixed adhesive - from what i've been told i shoudl avoid premixed adhesive on walls with fairly large tiles, is this advice correct?

Sponsored Links
The missus wants to use 25cm x 50cm tiles for the walls, is it OK to put these straight onto tilebacker board using Bal single Part Flexible adhesive?
How much do they weigh in at & which tile backer board are you using? Also how is it fixed & to what?

Also part of the wall becomes a skeiling?! due to it being a loft conversion, will this size of tile and process be ok on this?
You should never tile overhead but it is possible up to around 45 degrees but with such large tiles (more like paving slabs :LOL: ) you must check permissible tile weight, if it exceeds 50% of the maximum you would be ill advised to attempt it; it’s also going to be a pig getting them to stay up there whilst the adhesive sets.

I'll look into the blue star.
EDIT: sorry i looked into BLue Star and it is premixed adhesive - from what i've been told i shoudl avoid premixed adhesive on walls with fairly large tiles, is this advice correct?
Most definitely DO NOT use any form of tub ready mix it’s completely unsuitable for tiles that size, the adhesive won’t set & they will most likely fall off.

You must use a flexible addy/grout over boards; a Rapidset flexy will grab & hold much quicker than SPF.

I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

a) Not sure of the individual tile weight, they are the Fox Azul files from Topps Tiles - i've used the cement based tile backer board stock by champion timber

b) it only need to tile 4/6 tiles on the 45 degree skeing slope

c) im quite confident and happy using bal products but id prefer to use the single part flex adhesive rather than rapidset as i'm not the quickest tiler! :)

Any tips would be great.

Ta

john

a) Not sure of the individual tile weight, they are the Fox Azul files from Topps Tiles
Topps website says “light ceramic” but no weight details whatsoever; what thickness are the tiles or better still can you weigh one. Cement backer board will usually take 40 – 60 kg/sqm depending on type & thickness so you should be OK.

I've used the cement based tile backer board stock by champion timber
But what is it & what thickness? The only one I can see listed on the website is Hardibacker 250 which is only 6mm thick; please don’t tell me you’ve used that unsupported to line stud walls! It’s OK for over boarding but Hardibacker 500 (10.5mm) or, ideally, even thicker 12.5mm Aquapanel should be used over studding, 6mm is too flimsy & could be critical if your tiling over.

b) it only need to tile 4/6 tiles on the 45 degree skeing slope
As I said may be OK depending on your tile weight & if you can get them to stay up there until the addy sets but if you’ve only used 6mm boards :cry:

c) im quite confident and happy using bal products but id prefer to use the single part flex adhesive rather than rapidset as i'm not the quickest tiler! :)
SPF is fine for vertical walls, the only reason I suggested Rapidset is it will grab & hold much quicker on your ski slope ceiling.

Thanks for the reply,

I've used the 12.5mm board onto stud walls and also on to a solid breeze block wall.

I'll get a weight per tile when they are delivered.

I've got the SPF at home, but do you think it wise to get a small bag of rapid set for that area?

Ta

I've used the 12.5mm board onto stud walls and also on to a solid breeze block wall.
Thank god for that, had me worried for a minute; have you mechanically fixed the boards to the block work?

I've got the SPF at home, but do you think it wise to get a small bag of rapid set for that area?
You might be better but you could always try one with SPF first; but this will all depend on the tile weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back