tiling to the door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am tiling a toilet and I have completed all the tiles except those that are immediately within the door. All the other tiles go under the skirting boards so I want to continue this at the door.

The door has one piece of solid wood at the base and a standard door frame.
I was going to cut 1-2 cm's or so out of the base of the frame and slot the tiles into the frame as i lay them. (to avoid having to cut the tiles to match the decoration).

For the base I was going to remove the piece of wood and then put it back overlapping the tiles. But I can't seem to get the piece of wood off. I have tried hitting it hard and prying it off but it seems to want to stay put or be destroyed.

Am I going about this all wrong? How are the base pieces of wood normally connected to the door frame, are they nailed in from the outside before the frame is fitted?

Has anyone got any better solutions for how to do this?

Thanks
AP

Sponsored Links
Andy, it's probably the alcohol I've consumed, but I don't follow you - on the off chance it's not me, what're the chances of you posting a pic of your problem?

I think its me :)

I described a base piece of wood but I don't know the proper name for it.

What do you call the thing that goes on the floor on a door frame and divides the two different floor types?

Basically I have a piece of wood between the hallway carpet and the toilet tiling and I can't get it off the door frame.

How do people normally blend a tiled room into a carpeted room at the door frame?

I think its me :)

I described a base piece of wood but I don't know the proper name for it.

What do you call the thing that goes on the floor on a door frame and divides the two different floor types?
I'd call that a threshold.

Basically I have a piece of wood between the hallway carpet and the toilet tiling and I can't get it off the door frame.

How do people normally blend a tiled room into a carpeted room at the door frame?
You don't give dimensions of the threshold andy. I would have said that it's unusual to have an internal door threshold that is the same width as the door casing. If this is the case and the door sits in the middle of the threshold then you're a bit scuppered. Removing the threshold and fitting a tile to carpet trim will leave your carpet a few inches short. Of course if the carpet is being replaced then it doesn't matter. If it's not being replaced then you'd just have to tile up to the threshold and be done.

If we're talking about a strip of wood about 1 1/2" wide, then that should just pull up. You'd then replace with a tile to carpet trim.

A photo would be really useful to ensure that I'm talking about the right thing though.;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you replies, its cool that you are taking the time to help me :)

Below is a picture.

As you can see its just a piece of wood, but it doesn't seem to come up nicely, I feel if I pry it up any harder then it will break.

Will it look ok if I just tile up to the threshold?

It's a lot easier with a picture. :D
As your carpet is butted up to that strip of timber I'd be inclined to leave it. If you remove the timber, you're going to need something to prevent the edge of the carpet from lifting. Unfortunately, this would have to cover the carpet edge and would therefore be visible from outside the room (wouldn't look right). You're going to need something to separate the two floor surfaces anyway so it might as well be that piece of timber.
I'd sand it back down to bare wood and re-stain it in a shade similar to your tiles. Then just tile up to it (neatly) and grout the tile/wood joint.

awesome thanks.

I think I am going to do exactly as you described. Thanks for all your help :)

1 last question...

Is it possible that this piece of wood could have been nailed or screwed into the door frame from either side?

removing it doesn't seem to be easy.

awesome thanks.

I think I am going to do exactly as you described. Thanks for all your help :)
No problem.

1 last question...

Is it possible that this piece of wood could have been nailed or screwed into the door frame from either side?

removing it doesn't seem to be easy.
Looks to me as a bit of an after thought that doesn't serve much purpose. Perhaps someone bought a door that was too short. ;)
It's hard to tell how it is secured without a closer look. If I was fitting it I'd stick it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back