Tiling Up To A Hardwood Fllor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling our entrance hallway from the front door. The hallway comes to the living room which has a hardwood floor. How do I join the two together? Do I just grout between the tiles and hardwood floor or do I have to leave a space for the hardwood to expand & contract? I do not want to put a transition strip there if possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I don't think I would grout the joint between your tiled hallway floor and your living-room hardwood floor.You do need to allow for some expansion.Grout would be to rigid.You can get some really slim neat looking transition strips nowadays which wouldn't spoil the look at all.I wouldn't use silicone.I don't think it would look.Maybe a neat fitting strip of cork that you could fit between the wood and the tiles,and glue just enough at the bottom to hold it in place.To leave a gap wouldn't look good.The cork would be my choice,but then!!!

Roughcaster.

hi i'm no expert as my name suggests, but here's a few ideas.

The wood will definitely expand and contract, so if you were to use grout then you should use flexible grout... the type you use with heated floors... hoperully you should be alright with that.

alternatively you might use an expansion joint... they look like a grout line from the top, and come in a variety of colour shades. a company called trim line do them.

Or you could leave a three to five mill gap between them and use a coloured caulk

:D

Sponsored Links
If you fill the gap with grout (flexible or otherwise) it will crumble.
You're going to need something there that will allow for expansion - if you fill it with caulk or silicone it'll probably not have sufficient "give" and will cause problems.
A proper expansion joint should fair better - see here for details http://www.imiweb.org/masonrydetails/09_02.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back