Timber Flush Casement Windows? Pros/Cons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have am looking to replace my original 1930s single glazed leaded lights. I wish to retain the leaded lights if possible as I love their design and everyone else in the street has got rid of them and gone plastic.

I have agonised over deciding between timber or upvc windows. I see so many people now replacing the UPVC they only got 10-15 years ago, which I find awful. Therefore I am leaning towards new quality timber windows and encapsulating my leaded lights.

However, if I do go down the timber window route, I like to be armed with facts when I make my choice. I am looking at flush casement windows to replicate what is already there.

My question: What should I be looking for in terms of well designed good quality timber windows? I have been told that a specially treated Acoya wood is very good and very long lasting. Is this true? What timbers should be avoided?

Are there any specific design, construction methods I should lookout for that are superior in longevity and quality?

I have read that some designs in the past lead to seals going very quickly on double glazed units etc.

Basically, I am looking for advice from anyone in the trade who can help me in cutting through marketing rubbish so I can identify what is good and what is not.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Some of the best timber windows today come from Scandinavia, made from Red Pine, Baltic Pine, Scots Fir call it what you will, treated with micro porous stain. As testimony of their longevity, timber windows are still in existence some hundreds of years in some buildings. I several in my location, just a small town, I'll bet you have to.
Micro porous stain finishes, make a huge difference, they allow the timber to breathe and move as timber always will...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back