Timber frame retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite as silly as the title suggests... I want to build a timber frame cabin on a concrete plinth/couple of courses of bricks to keep the sole plate off the ground. But on one side, I want to have the outside ground level a bit higher (200mm ish) so want to extend the masonry further up the wall or otherwise protect the timber from ground contact. I’ve thought of just building brickwork higher at that point, but that’d leave me with having to stick insulation on the inside to avoid an uninsulated area of wall (single brick skin), so I’d end up with a double thickness wall at skirting height which the Mrs won’t sign off. Or put insulation on the outside of the brick section, but I’m guessing that may also be a no go as it’d be exposed and rot. Or, have an outer skin of retaining brick and start the timber frame off the slab, but would have to ensure water then didn’t get between brick skin and timber frame, which I guess I could do with correctly lapped dpm coming down the timber frame and over the outer skin.
Are all of these options rubbish, and is this even possible, or shall I just build a totally separate retaining wall about a foot away to get the ground level the same all round?
Cheers (y)

Sponsored Links
Have you got a bit of a gap between the wall and next fence/wall or whatever?

And has your ‘return’ key broken :LOL:(y)

Sponsored Links
You could design a membrane on the outside of the frame and clad with plastic or cement board on the lower section, and then use something like Claymaster heave protection board (basically jablite polystyrene) to remove the thermal bridge and condensation risk to the frame.

You could design a membrane on the outside of the frame and clad with plastic or cement board on the lower section, and then use something like Claymaster heave protection board (basically jablite polystyrene) to remove the thermal bridge and condensation risk to the frame.

Could I not do exactly as you say but rather than having the timber frame below ground, do that part in single skin blue engineers, and add the jablite/heave protection board on the outside? I’d rather have brick below ground than frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back