Timber storage rack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got about 1km of wood to store and acclimatise, from 4x4 to 2x1 and everything in between in 1, 2 and 3m lengths.

I'm looking to throw up a quick and dirty timber rack. It will ideally be free standing, and open sided. I plain to have a central column with arms coming out both sides and a small gabled rain shelted extending over the sides. I am in favour of lots of screws vs nice joinery at this stage, as I just want to get the wood up and covered quickly.

I am imagining the end view to look like this:
[code:1]
/|\
_|_
_|_
__|__
[/code:1]

The only plans I've seen are for single sided ones. Do any of you experts have any links or suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

J

Sponsored Links
Sounds good. As long as you roughly evenly load it and consider the design double sided will work well. Make the horizontals from a single peice doing both sides. If you want to keep all the rain off it you will need a fair sizes cover or some sides, but otherwise it looks good to me.

Daniel

I use a simple inverted T shape with old spur shelf uprights and large brackets to sit timber on, gives lots of easy and quick adjustment.

Sounds good. As long as you roughly evenly load it and consider the design double sided will work well. Make the horizontals from a single peice doing both sides. If you want to keep all the rain off it you will need a fair sizes cover or some sides, but otherwise it looks good to me.

Daniel

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure whether I'll keep this rack once my projects are done, so I'm thinking of ways to do it with little joinery and lots of screws, but without compromising the strength

Should I just bite the bullet and do some lap joints and dado's? Reading about them in books is the only knowledge I have, but I have the tools for it.

Cheers,

J

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back