timber window fixing - will this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is built of rough stone - and nothing's square.

Rather than fill in the gaps between a new timber window frame and the stonework, I was thinking about doing this : screw (treated) timber to the top bottom and sides of the opening with packing/filler so I now have a square opening. Screw some beading/batten onto the inside of this timber all the way around with sealant on this beading, and press the new window up to it. Screw more beading/sealant on the inside - so now the window is sandwiched between timber beading

Is it something that's done already - or if not maybe there is a good reason why not?
Appreciate any comments.

Sponsored Links
But you’ll still have your unsightly uneven gap between your stonework and your timber lining won’t you? Or am I missing something? :oops: :p

thanks for reply. I'm trying to avoid a new expensive window 'hanging' in mid air while I try and get it square and plumb. I can fill in the gaps behind the timber frame and fix the beading and then just offer the new window up knowing it will fit. I'll also be able to use standard frame sizes (ie cheaper).

I suppose what I'm worried about is damp/drafts, or the 'don't be daft you can't do that because....' reason I hadn't though of.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how much smaller your frame is than the opening you could fix a timber packer to the stone work and fix the window to that or simply fix the window directly to the stone. After that it becomes the same in that to eliminate any unsightly gap you need to scribe an "architrave" to cover the gap and edge of the frame. Fiddily and time consuming but looks good afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back