Is it need and tidy so I can find a fault easily

Is it safe

Is it legal

Can it be certificated.

If the answer is yes then I am happy

Cheers Andy

Sponsored Links
Is it safe ... Is it legal
'Safe' and 'legal' are essentially the same thing, since all that the law (Part P of the Building Regs - which is just one sentence) essentially requires is that it should be safe. Even your present setup probably qualifies as safe, particularly given that you have some provisions for emergency lighting. If you made the changes we've been discussing, it would be even better.
Can it be certificated.
I'm not totally sure what you mean by that. Your present setup, in which a fault on a lighting circuit could take out the entire installation, would probably not be regarded as regs-compliant if it were installed today, but with the lighting CU RCD-protected, it probably would be (obviously only considering the one aspect we've been discussing - there could be other problems we don't know about).

Kind Regards, John

Your present setup, in which a fault on a lighting circuit could take out the entire installation, would probably not be regarded as regs-compliant if it were installed today
And today's regulations are the only ones against which it could be certified today.

You aren't obliged to bring old installations up to date, but neither can you get retrospective Electrical Installation Certificates.

Your present setup, in which a fault on a lighting circuit could take out the entire installation, would probably not be regarded as regs-compliant if it were installed today
And today's regulations are the only ones against which it could be certified today. ... You aren't obliged to bring old installations up to date, but neither can you get retrospective Electrical Installation Certificates.
Exactly- which is why I said that I wasn't sure what he meant by 'certified'. It either did or did not receive an EIC at the time it was installed, and it couldn't get one now, even if it were compliant with current regs.

One thing I find very poorly defined is the extent to which one can modify/extend/repair/whatever an existing circuit (or entire installation) before the whole thing has to be compliant with current regs in order for an EIC (for the new work) to be issued.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It is poor, but I still maintain that given the situation described by the OP:
Later in about 2009 we put in new circuits for a very large extension both installations were fully tested and certified.
that even if the electrician did feel that he could certify his new work to BS 7671:2008 he did not act in a manner consistent with a professional trusted adviser in leaving the RCD arrangements as they were.

It is poor, but I still maintain that given the situation described by the OP:
Later in about 2009 we put in new circuits for a very large extension both installations were fully tested and certified.
that even if the electrician did feel that he could certify his new work to BS 7671:2008 he did not act in a manner consistent with a professional trusted adviser in leaving the RCD arrangements as they were.

Judge and jury …….BAS :eek:

Electricains are not consistent, this forum proves that !

DS

Appreciate all that has been said and will take it onboard and rectify the situation in accordance with the advice given I.e put an RCCB in the lighting circuit CU .

The new CU for the outhouse will be tested and certified as a new circuit. The certs for the old stuff will stand stand.

New regs come out all the time and things will never stay current compliant .
For me as long as it is safe and legal and I have Certs for everything I am happy.

My friend has an old wired fuse box but it is still legal although I would not sleep at nights.

In practice we get very few outages through RCCB or MCBs tripping.
In five years only one for a defective toaster and then a kettle. The pond trips now and again on the RCBO but that is down to rain, water and pumps etc
I did buy an IP 66 control box form a well known store which failed due to condensation and I lost many hundreds of pounds worth of Koi carp.

It is not a perfect world but we just do our best to stay safe and sound.

I wonder how many people will be running very doggy Christmas lights some even outside with no real protection.

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Regards
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back