Time for a new boiler. Free boiler Facebook ads??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so my WB Greenstar 25SI 4731184NG has now sprung a leak in the manifold that is above the diverter valve.
piddling out a fins spray of water.

So seeing as I have seen lots of FB ads about getting free boilers if you have someone on benefits in the house (I have) and if the boilers over 15 years old (mine will be at the end of April) can I qualify for a new one and will they fit a gas combi or does it have to be the new heat pumps?

Sponsored Links
This is the part that's leaking, what's it called please?
I may as well see how much that costs to replace too.

1710276453373.png

OK can I qualify for a new one and will they fit a gas combi or does it have to be the new heat pumps?
Some free combi boiler installs come with the external wall insulation grant.

I know a lad who had a 10k grant on a external wall insulation, it did not add up to 10grand at the end and the government gave him a new free boiler along with underfloor insulation.

Sponsored Links
The valliant is saying different to other sites.
Others are saying the boiler has to be 15 years old (amongst other things0 and you have to have someone on benefits in the house.
Valliant are saying 8 years and the person claiming needs to be on benefits.

Such confusion in the market hence I really need to talk to someone that actually knows the crack.

OK so some searching shows this part as the return manifold.
Now I know what it's going to cost to repair.

Yep they will give you a combi if they offer heat pump just refuse it

if they offer heat pump just refuse it
Or upgrade the house so it's suitable for an HP and introduce yourself to the concept of needing less heat input instead of finding more efficient ways of burning stuff to create the same old high heat input

Or upgrade the house so it's suitable for an HP and introduce yourself to the concept of needing less heat input instead of finding more efficient ways of burning stuff to create the same old high heat input
deary deary me someone who believes that a heat pump will reduce annual fuel bills let alone pay back the well over 5 figures they cost to install

Probably down to personal experience of having one that reduced annual fuel bills while nudging into low four figure cost of installation

I'm the first to point out that they aren't for everyone, and on the one hand it really irks me that the likes of British Gas are on the radio saying how wonderful they are and creating the impression that they're a drop in replacement for a gas boiler that will reduce bills..

..but there isn't any reason why they can't be for everyone and reduce bulls - it just needs the rest of the house to be upgraded to actually be of a decent standard first. That should really be performed as the priority, because it would reduce gas usage too, but ultimately burning stuff is antisocial and unsustainable.

Heat pumps can run from renewable energy once the surmountable problem of them not being needed when the most popular renewables are generating (if it's sunny so the solar panels are going full char, it's warm and hear isnt necessarily required) is resolved

Ultimately, the key to securing a future where the world isn't a desperate fight over dwindling finite resources needs to start sooner rather than later, and upgrading crappy old housing stock so that it doesn't need so much energy input is the place to start with that, then switching to cleaner, lower energy systems the follow up

That is repairable, very cheaply.
Do tell me more please?

Boiler has never been serviced in the 15 years we have had it, parts are starting to fail, house piping & radiators are ancient & rads are piped in 40yr old microbore - it's time for a complete new system just have to find the right installer now.
This is not going to be cheap :)

OK change of plan, I bought a new manifold & will change it at the weekend.
I'm going to upgrade all the radiators & piping then when all done get a new boiler fitted by someone else.

Return manifold replaced.
Change the main heat exchanger and the boilers practically new, I have replaced so many other parts :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back